Important information for current Fung Global Fellows on location in Princeton, NJ

Visa Information

Princeton University’s Davis International Center serves both international scholars and students. They offer an initial orientation and support for visitors and their families throughout the academic year. Please review their website, especially the sections on ImmigrationLiving in Princeton and Taxes and Social Security, as you will find answers to many of your questions. Roberta Tye, International Scholar Advisor at the Davis Int’l Center, and her colleagues will prepare the necessary documents to facilitate your visa application. While a 3-month window should normally be sufficient for your application at the U.S. embassy or consulate that you will have to work with in your country of residence, we recommend that you begin the application for yourself and your dependents as soon as you receive your visa document. You might wish to inquire how far in advance you will need to make your appointment and what the timeframe for the visa issuing might be.  The program will cover visa fees for you and your dependents, so please keep your (preferably electronic) receipts for your reimbursement in September.

Generally, most of our visiting scholars use the J-1 visa category.  You can find more information and requirements for J-1 visa holders at Princeton University on the Davis International Center website.

Salary & Tax Status

Please note that, as a Visiting Research Scholar (Senior and Early Career Fellows) or a Postdoctoral Research Associate, you will be receiving a salary rather than a fellowship stipend (the term Fung Global Fellow does not refer to the terms of your formal appointment).  This will be relevant with regard to your tax status and benefits eligibility.  Let me refer you to basic tax information with the University’s Office of Finance and Treasury. If your citizenship is different from your country of residence, you might find it useful to bring proof of tax residency with you to Princeton.  Upon your arrival, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number in nearby Trenton, NJ as this is needed for anyone who is to receive a salary here in the U.S.  Please note that salaries are paid at the end of each month, i.e., you will need to plan on covering various start-up costs here initially.  For more information on Social Security Numbers, please visit this webpage. Please note that institutional payments are only permitted for scholars coming from domestic (US) institutions of higher education, PIIRS is unable to process institutional payments to scholars at international institutions.

Please be aware that candidates must research their home country’s specific tax regulations pertaining to the income they will receive from the U.S. before arriving at Princeton as Princeton University faculty and administration cannot advise on any matters related to a candidate’s tax obligations in their home country.  In general, foreign workers in the U.S. are subject to paying U.S. state and federal tax on incomes earned in the U.S. The candidate’s federal tax liability is based upon the individual’s tax status in the U.S. In addition, the federal tax liability can be reduced if there exists a tax treaty agreement between the U.S. and the candidate’s country of tax residence.  Your U.S. tax status is determined by your visa and the number of days present in the U.S.  You must have a U.S. issued Social Security Number (SSN) to be eligible to apply for the tax treaty exemption, if applicable.  In order to determine your tax status and your eligibility to apply for a tax treaty exemption you must have the following information/documents: 1) U.S. issued Social Security Number; 2) current visa; 3) date of entry in the U.S.; 4) country of citizenship and resident; 5) prior visits to the United States.  Aarifa MohammedSenior Global Tax Analyst​, Global Financial Services, Office of the VP for Finance and Treasurer, may be able to assist in answering some basic taxation questions for you ([email protected]).

Please note: Enrollment in the Glacier System, to determine tax withholdings, and health insurance via the university will take place after your arrival here, so there is no need to take action at this time.

Health Insurance

Please find an outline of health insurance requirements for international visitors on the Davis International Center website.  Should you choose insurance through Princeton University, see details on the Human Resources website.  For a brief description of the benefits programs that are available to you, please see the Princeton University Benefits.  As a J-1 visa holder, you will have two plans to choose from, the Aetna HMO or the J-1 Visa Plan both described on the benefits page. Coverage through Princeton is only valid for the time frame of your appointment.  Should you plan to be in the U.S. outside of this time frame, you will need to purchase additional coverage.  Health care costs tend to be quite high in the U.S., so I would advise that you take care of necessary immunizations and other medical issues before you arrive.

Disability (Including Maternity)

Please contact Nicole Bergman directly for information on disability benefits for Fung Fellows.


Contact Nicole Bergman or call 609-258-9861